Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day Two: Give a Smile


Give … a smile

And work with a smile on your face, always keeping in mind that no matter who happens to be giving the orders, you're really serving God. Eph 6:7

Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God-- soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God. Ps 42:11

Gelotologists study the effects of laughter and humor on our physical frame. Whether it is increasing our ability to endure pain to boosting our immune system, it has been found that a happy disposition translates into health. So how do we “give” a smile to someone? And is a smile really a gift?

Spend some time in a grocery store around dinner time. Look at the faces of hungry, tired people wandering aimlessly down the aisles or standing in the checkout line. Make eye contact. Smile. Not a wide-eyed, creepy I-know-where-you- parked-your-car kind of smile. Just a hello-how-are-you smile. It can make someone’s day, and let them know that they matter.

Father-God, so many times I have felt your heavenly smile and at once, my heart was lifted. Help me to bring your light to someone today through the grace of a simple smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment