Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day Six: Give Foregiveness


Give … Forgiveness

So if you forgive him, I forgive him. Don't think I'm carrying around a list of personal grudges. The fact is that I'm joining in with your forgiveness, as Christ is with us, guiding us. 2Co 2:10

One of the greatest gifts we have been given by God has been forgiveness. By Christ’s sacrifice, we have been cleansed from all unrighteousness – we have been forgiven. What wonderful freedom there is when forgiveness has been set free to restore and release those held captive. But if it’s so great, why do we have such trouble with it?

The human heart has struggled with this concept since the garden: does forgiving someone mean that I have to forget what they did? If I forgive, does that mean I am saying that the offense what no big deal? We want our pain validated. We want those who offended and hurt us to feel the weight of the pain they caused. Not letting go and forgiving does not give us what we say we want. It only makes us more of a prisoner, whose chains are now heavier than before.

Why does this happen? Because there is a spiritual principle in place – simply stated, unforgiveness leads to death. Whether it is spiritual death because of sin or emotional and relational death, there is no moving forward without forgiveness.

Father-God, help me to forgive others as You have forgiven me. I lay my wounded heart before you to heal and restore. I forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment