Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day Thirteen: Give Encouragement


Give … Encouragement

Traveling through the country, passing from one gathering to another, he gave constant encouragement, lifting their spirits and charging them with fresh hope. Ac 20:2

My sad life's dilapidated, a falling-down barn; build me up again by your Word. Ps 119:28

Encouragement is a concrete action, not an abstract notion. Encouraging words can lift the heart and bring release from distress. But words are only half the story. When David was at his lowest, he encouraged himself in the Lord (1 Sa 30:6). What did he do? He got up, washed and clothed himself – there was a very natural application to the very spiritual reason he had to be encouraged: he was loved by an almighty, all-loving, eternal God.

When we give encouragement, we should remember there must be a words-in-action counterpart to just the words. New Testament encouragement not only refers to urging, entreating, and inviting, but to calling to one’s side. This infers action – come with me, work with me – I will walk by your side and help strengthen your steps – I will feed you the truth of God and be by your side – I will encourage your heart, your soul and your mind.

Father-God, I receive the encouragement of your Spirit in my life. Increase my understanding, strengthen my heart, and show me how to live and breathe your life-giving encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment