Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day Ten: Give Peace


Give … Peace


Shining on those in the darkness, those sitting in the shadow of death, then showing us the way, one foot at a time, down the path of peace. Lu 1:79

Jesus repeated his greeting: “Peace to you. Just as the Father sent me, I send you." John 20:21

I come from the generation who waved the peace sign like a flag. The peace sign was given instead of a handshake and the byword of the day was, “Give peace a chance.” Long before The Beatles immortalized those words in a song, Jesus sang peace over all he met: he spoke peace to those in distress (Luke 7:50), peace to the disciples as they were hiding behind locked doors (John 20:19), and peace to the tumultuous, raging seas (Mark 4:39).
True peace is not a hand gesture or a phrase in a song. It is a gift. In John 14:27, Jesus said, “I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you.- peace.” As with any gift of God, peace is meant to be shared. But how do we give peace? We give it through our words, our actions, and our attitudes. To bring order to chaos, to bring assurance to doubt, to bring stillness to the inner rage – these are just some of the ways to give the gift of peace.

Father-God, I embrace your gift of peace and I rest secure in your promise. You have overcome the world, and it is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment