Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Shadow of His Wings



I once heard a story about a farmer whose barn caught on fire. After the flames had died down and the smoke began to clear, he began to survey all the damage. He had lost everything. Stumbling through the wreckage, he came across one of his chickens that had been burned to death. In his frustration and sorrow, he thoughtlessly kicked the bird. What he saw next not only surprised him, but humbled him as well. Out from under the lifeless and burned carcass came the hen's chicks, alive and chirping. They had been saved from the flames by hiding underneath their mother's wings.


In the Psalms, there are many references to being under the shadow of God’s wings:

Psalm 17:8 – Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings …
Psalm 36:7 – How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings.
Psalm 57:1 – Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.
Psalm 91:1 – He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the almighty.

The literal meaning of the word “shadow” is shade, with the connotation of hovering over. The dictionary defines shade as “to protect; to come between.” What a beautiful picture of how God desires to protect us and to put Himself between us and what might harm us.

In the New Testament, as Jesus is lamenting over Jerusalem’s hardness, He says, “How often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing” (Matthew 23:37).

Dear heart, take refuge under the shadow of His mighty wings of protection for He truly cares for you.

Loving Father, You long to cover me with your love – to hide and protect me – under the shade of your grace. I draw close to your sheltering embrace.

Check out: Zephaniah 3:14-20

No comments:

Post a Comment