Friday, June 19, 2009

Intention - Connection - Commitment




I’ve been thinking about some things my son shared with me a while ago. They were three things that spoke to me because they were areas in my life that I had been having struggles with: intentionality, connection, and commitment.


Be purposefully awake: to be awake in Scripture means to be fully awake, to waken thoroughly, to rouse with the idea of collecting one’s faculties. To be confident of your purpose daily - to live intentionally, not just stumble from one crisis to another - to live in a purposeful manner. To know that for us to live is Christ. Do I begin each day with a sense of purpose? Do I live a deliberate life?


Grope Hope: it is an odd idea to use the words “grope” and “hope” in the same thought; the dictionary defines grope as to feel, reach or search about uncertainly, but in the Old Testament, it just means to feel about - no uncertainty. To me, the word grope has the connotation of a passionate and fully-connected attempt to hold on to something, to make a connection with it. But think about it – what might it mean to grope hope? How about to feel its shape, to feel its depth, and length, and breadth- to know it without seeing it. And as you're discovering and groping hope, you begin to sense faith within its texture. Isn’t hope intimately tied to faith?


Be committed to rest: rest is defined as putting into another’s care and custody.
In the New Testament, it can mean a deposit. What have we deposited in God’s care in order to enter into or receive His rest? In the OT, it seems that God’s rest is something entered into. In the NT, Jesus says he will give us rest. How committed are we to receiving God’s rest? We know what happens when we don’t experience it. So why do we run from it?


Do I live in an intentional way?
Do I passionately take hold of hope?
Have I deposited my restless heart in God?

Father of all Peace, help me to live intentionally, to take hold of Your hope, and to allow Your rest to sustain and preserve me.

Check out: Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment