Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Deep: Part VII


The next verse (hang in there-almost done):
1st part of verse nine:
Realize your own misery and experience grief and sob aloud.

Misery and grief? Isn’t the Christian life about joy? The brochure said nothing about misery and grief, and I remember it most certainly said nothing about sobbing aloud. Where’s the good news?

There are three important things in this verse that we should consider:
1) Coming to grips with and realizing the truth about what and who we are.
2) Experiencing grief over the state of our souls. This kind of Godly sorrow does not condemn, but cleanses us, drawing us closer to the forgiving arms of our Abba-Father.
3) And lastly, sobbing aloud. For those of us who are more reserved, this can be a scary concept. You may think, "I can be upset, but don't ask me to make a spectacle of myself." It’s interesting that the word “wail” (NIV) does not mean to cry silently. The word definitely denotes a loud, verbal noise, a sobbing over sin. It’s the kind of gut-cry that comes from somewhere deep within you. I'm not saying that we need to become an emotional mess, weeping and wailing at every opportunity. It's just that coming into the presence of God and releasing on this deep, vulnerable level, connects us in a way that mere words cannot.
Do you have someone who you can go to and just cry with? I mean really cry with? There is a closeness and a feeling of safety between you. You know that this person will not judge you, but will mourn with you and comfort you. It's the same when you come to God and pour out your innermost sorrow to Him. You can do it if you know that He is trustworthy and loving and desires this kind of closeness with you.
I can assure you He does.

Forgiving Father, have I ever expressed this kind of audible sorrow in your presence? If I haven’t, what could be the reason I’ve held back? Lord, reveal the truth to me. I submit to your Spirit and wait on you. Help me to fully understand the price you paid for my sin and how that sin has separated me from you.

Check out: Hebrews 4:14-16; 5:7-9

1 comment:

  1. I went through a period where I could not NOT cry. It gave me a new compassion for others and a deeper look at God and me.

    ReplyDelete