Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Deep: Part I


I’d like you to think about the ocean. Personally because I am inexperienced swimming in the ocean, I have great respect for its unpredictable power. One of the main reasons relates to an experience I had a few years back. After spending hours being beaten up on the shoreline in a about a foot of water, a friend brought me out to where the water was up to my neck. She taught me to jump over the waves and enjoy the deeper water. Then I saw it. A huge wave was rolling right towards us. My friend swam over to me and told me that we would need to go under this one. Knowing that she wouldn’t let me drown, I clung on to her and when she said. “Now!” we dipped effortlessly beneath the wave.

When I came up on the other side of the wave, I looked toward the shoreline. I could see its swell rolling away from us, sweeping other more unsuspecting bathers away. I didn't drown. I had made it through the "big one."

So what does a first time experience in the ocean have to do with my relationship with God?
Imagine a person standing on the beach. This person represents us as we stand before the Christian life as we come to the unlimited majesty of the Almighty God. The water represents being immersed into the Christian life. The distance to which we are willing to go out towards the invisible horizon and the depth we are willing reach represents our walk and the level of our commitment to God.
You see, as I stood on the shoreline that day at the beach, I was in no danger of drowning. I could stand on my own two feet, and I could get out of the water without much trouble. But near the shoreline is where the waves break. It’s also where the current seems strongest, pulling and pushing you back and forth as the water yanks at your feet. If you stand there long enough, not only will your feet will begin to sink into the sand like anchors, but you will get really tired with all the waves breaking on you.
I spent a lot of time metaphorically on the beach in my Christian life. I was in the water, I was saved, but because my trust of God was limited and because there was no real depth or grounding to my understanding of His nature, I was afraid to venture out to a place of uncertainty. I would inwardly laugh when I’d hear Christians recite the verse: “Come to me all who are heavy laden and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28) What rest I’d say; I’m exhausted. But there was always this gentle voice calling me towards the deep.

Consider: Where am I today? Am I on the shoreline, standing in the water? Or am I venturing out towards the deep?
Almighty Father, draw my fearful heart towards your limitless, deep love today. I will come.
Check out: Colossians 3:13-17

No comments:

Post a Comment