Friday, June 5, 2009

Beneath the Surface


Intimacy with God is not an experience that happens to us. It is a state of being, a state of existence that develops within us. As we allow God into our inner man, we are drawn deeper into His presence. It is when we place ourselves “in” Him, not near Him or around His people, but in Him that we can truly be intimate with God.

But why the need for such intimacy with God? Why not just a little depth? Can’t you just know of God and allow Him to be a part of your life, even the most important part of your life?
I remember my pastor asking the question, “Who here has Christ as the most important part of their life?” I smiled and proudly raised my hand. Was I surprised when he then said, “Christ should not be the most important part of your life. He should be your life.” I had missed it. It was the difference between acting like a Christian and being a Christian.

So many times I had reduced my Christianity with a compartmentalized attitude – God goes here, work goes here and so on. No wonder my walk was a series of up and down emotionally-driven experiences.

Consider: Why is it necessary to live “beneath” instead of on the “surface” of God?

Check out: John 15:4-8

No comments:

Post a Comment