Monday, July 6, 2009

Needing God: Part II


The next aspect of personal needing for God considers the “you” perspective.

2) you - need God. Have you ever said to someone, “You need God?” How did you say it? “Boy, do you need God.” There needs to be caution in our attitudes when we actually say to someone, “You need God.”

Should we say it? Absolutely. We are commanded to speak the truth, and there is nothing more fundamental than telling someone that they have a need for God. But when it’s a “You need God” statement, the “speaking the truth in love” principle needs to be in place.

Don’t you find it’s always easier to see other people’s needs easier than your own? We know when a friend needs God; we know when a co-worker needs God, and we’re great at knowing when our spouse needs God.

A good principle when we feel the need to tell someone, “You need God?” Allow the Spirit to echo back the words to remind us that it is us who need God as much as the person we are telling. A word that is infused with truth, love and humility is a word that can be blessed and anointed.

Humility - funny thing about humility. I was thinking the other day about it and what my perception about humility really was. Literally in Scripture it means to be humiliated. Ever been humiliated in the world and had it been a good experience? I had to consider the possibility that I had carried my personal distaste for worldly humiliation into the kingdom and had shied away from learning the full extent of spiritual humility from God.

God needs for me to understand that he cannot truly and completely lift me up to where I can offer hope to others if I do not first trust Him enough to offer up my flesh to be humbled or humiliated. When the fleshly part of me is brought low, my spirit-man can rise up.

Humility seems to be the key when considering how other individuals need God. Jesus taught this, and we can clearly see it by the way He lived His life.

Father-God, I lay down myself down before Your throne of grace. Give me a burden to share Your love with others. Show them through me that You are the answer for their need.

Check out: James 4:10

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading "Lord, change me" by Evelyn Christenson. Yes, I need God!

    ReplyDelete