Friday, July 3, 2009

Needing God: Part I


Need for God runs deep. As Christians, we all have a desire for others to come to a saving knowledge of this need – and beyond the knowing, the committing. We say things like, “They need God,” but if we stop and meditate on that phrase, we begin to understand the meaning of needing God.

A few years back, the Lord challenged me to consider what it really means to need Him on different levels. Let’s just think about the phrase above. What does it mean if you first place the focus on the first word – looking at the human connection to need?
As an English teacher, it occurred to me that “they” was a pronoun. What are some other pronouns? I, you, he, she, (no it because salvation is human-specific) we, you, they. Each one has its own unique significance. Let’s consider them one at a time.

1) I - need God. This is always the place to begin. It is always personal. It’s easy to say, “You need God,” but when I realize I need God, it turns everything around. It’s where our salvation began - we confessed our personal need for God to come in and change us.
If we’ve been saved for a while, it can become easy to become self-sufficient, to rely on past lessons, past convictions, and past victories.

When we admit daily that I am the one who needs God, I am put in the place where I can receive from God because I am the one going to Him, I am the one coming into His presence daily, I am the one deepening my walk with my Father, I am the one who has tasted God’s disciple when I have strayed, and I am the one who has personally tasted His pleasure when I have embraced His presence.

If the “I” is missing from the picture and my relationship with God is a “we” relationship, I will not only never be able to stand without support of others, but I will never have understood the privilege of knowing God the way He desires to be known.

Lord of my soul, I need You. I come alone into Your presence and lay my life before You. I understand the sanctity of the relationship You desire with me. I know I need to personally accept Jesus’ sacrifice. It begins here.

Check out: Isaiah 43:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment